For many folk, being unlucky enough to have a missing tooth or teeth can turn out to be a morale shattering scenario. Having to hide a smile can create feelings of embarrassment in various social circumstances, and missing teeth can also go on to make a person look and feel older.
Practically all methods of teeth replacement treatments rely upon some kind of bridgework or dentures. However, nowadays, dental implants have become a much more popular option because they leave the owner with permanent and regular looking teeth.
- Make use of state of the art surgical techniques to consolidate a tooth or teeth to the jawbone.
- Are ideal for those who have good oral health, because people can only be treated if they have healthy gums and enough bone tohold the implants in place.
- Can last for one’s life, and because the tooth is fitted permanently into the bone, you will forget it is there
There are two main types of dental implants in Canberra.
1 – Subperiosteal implants are installed on top of a person’s jaw. The metal framework extends through the jaw to hold the tooth. People with a minimal bone height who are unable to wear dentures are more than likely to be a patient for this sort of implant.
2 – Endosteal implants are installed into the bone by way of screws, cylinders or blades. All implants can hold one or more teeth and these implants are used by those who have bridgework or removable dentures.
There are many benefits to having dental implants:
- The success rate is very high
- Dental implants also need no extra work on any neighbouring teeth, unlike bridgework
- With dental implants, nobody knows that you have a replacement tooth or teeth
- The implants which are fitted directly into the jaw, mean there is no recession of the gums as there is in bridgework or dentures
- Dental implants can be for a single tooth, many teeth, or even a whole set of teeth.
Normally, the number of teeth will be determined, partially, by the amount of bone in a patient’s jaw. For example, the area in the upper back area of the mouth has less bone and is not the perfect area for implants.
For All People
Dental implants can be for patients of all age groups and the whole process can take a couple of months, due to the framework that has been fitted into the bone resting for a while before a tooth or teeth being added. (During this time, temporary teeth can be fitted).
And after all of the work is finished, the end result is permanent, natural looking teeth that will feel as if they’ve always been there all of your life.
But beware! You may just discover that after having a fitting, you will now have a nice new found habit of smiling all of the time!